St Martin, LudgateRichard Beer (1928-2017)
A rare artists proof etching with aquatint in blue, black, green and yellow of the church of St Bride’s, Fleet Street from the highly regarded portfolio Ten Wren Churches – featuring Churches designed by Sir Christopher Wren.
St Martin, Ludgate, also known as St Martin within Ludgate, is an Anglican church on Ludgate Hill in the ward of Farringdon, in the City of London. The church is of medieval origin, but the present building dates from 1677–84 and was designed by Sir Christopher Wren.
Signed, titled and denoted artists proof, this work dates from 1970 and can be found in the Government Art Collection.
It was published by Editions Alecto as an edition of 75 with 15 artist proofs, on Crisbrook waterleaf paper. This series is considered by some to be Beer’s best architectural works.
Measurements: The plate size measures 62 x 42 cm, sheet 77 x 55 approx.
Condition: excellent clean condition, very faint matte burn around the plate where previously mounted, minor.
£175 + Shipping